Thursday, February 2, 2012

"Massive winter storm to clobber Denver"

Cranked out 8 hours of driving to make it to Denver today and beat the snow storm expected to "clobber" Denver tonight! The trip was as smooth and uneventful as one can imagine with a 16 month old...until we stopped for supper in Golden, CO. We had researched and picked out a quaint little vegetarian hole-in-the-wall deli for supper so we could get some much needed roughage in our diet. We pulled into the parallel parking spots right around 5:20 only to find out that the deli closed at 5 :( FAIL #1. Since it was freezing out (winter storm blowing in etc), we scurried along to the next available eatery which happened to be a typical American Shaq-portioned plates tavern--but we were starving! We ordered our meals while Finn drew on the kid-paper-menu with the crayons. Dinner was delicious and to our surprise, our little man who has RSV, a fever, an ear infection and therefore no appetite, ate a whole half of grilled cheese! Things couldn't have been going better. As we paid our bill and were about to leave, I decided to check Finn's diaper as we had a 20 minute drive still until we reached my friend Allison's house. I peeked in the back of his diaper and sure enough, there it was, the smell hitting me in the face with force--a full diaper of butternut squash soup diarrhea.....I quickly dashed to the women's room to change his diaper--travel wipes and single diaper in hand. Of course there was no changer (Restaurant FAIL #1) so I laid Finn on the counter hoping no one would come in. The soupy mess spilled onto the counter and as I frantically ran out of wipes (FAIL #2) I started wetting paper towels to clean him up. And of course it had to be one of those sensor activated paper towel dispensers and not the hand crank ones I could better control grrrrrrrr. Finn survived...I tripled washed my soiled hands and carried him back to our table--he was all giggles as usual :)

After that fiasco, I am sooooo looking forward to relaxing at my friend's house. We are staying put for a few days and checking out this beautiful mountainous metropolis!

No comments:

Post a Comment